Monday 22 October 2012

The Aam Aadmi

I am what you would call a typical aam aadmi. A person who pays the taxes (allll the taxes) regularly, frets over the burgoening prices and always hopes for better times. I was at my wits end when I read the recommendations of a panel headed by Mr.Deepak Parekh.

For enabling "REFORMS" in the Indian economy, they recommend increasing the electricity charges and rail fares. The question that always comes to my mind is this. Who are these "REFORMS" intended to? They are probably making these reforms for a common man like me. As a common man I dont understand the intellectual economic policies of the country. But I understand economics in my household when I have to pay more for something. I understand the economics when I see the plight of lower income group, who think before spending every penny.

I can never forget the incident that my friend a regular bus commuter shared with me. An old lady got into a bus (90A) from Ukkadam to Somanur for which she regularly gets a ticket for Rs.7. The conductor said that the ticket price was Rs.23. She had to disembark. When she said that she did not have that amount, she also learnt from the conductor that all the 90A buses to Somanur had become special buses with the revised fare. I still wonder how she reached her destination. Remember the sudden raise in bus tickets and the crowning of regular buses as special buses in TamilNadu? This was during that time. For some, it is just a small dent in the savings when prices rise. But for some it is a matter of survival.

Austerity measures have time and time proved to be disastrous. Britain thought that that cutting public spending and hiking taxes would improve their economy. Recession is acute, jobless people are plenty and the salaried have lesser amount to spend.

When the wealthy and affluent big bosses take policies they consider the well being of the national economy, but miss out on the people who feel the impact of the policy decisions. I am sure lot of case study is done before arriving at a recommendation. I also suggest that a case study on its effects on the common man is done in future before a suggestion is tabled.

Share your views on how the price rise is affecting our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment