Monday 5 November 2012

Accidents on the Road - We are good people

The title I assume is misleading and ambiguous. But read along!

It is disheartening to read the number of accidents that happen every day on the road. When we sit around and chat, a common comment is "People are becoming very self-centered that they dont help people on the road when they see an accident". The talk is about the others who dont help and never about us. (Remember it is always easy to say that x did not do it when we would probably not do it when faced with the same situation).

I saw an accident right in front of me this morning. The fault(as I saw it) was with a pedestrain who was trying to dodge speeding vehicles near Jain apartment in Peelamedu. Finally a bike hit him and as a chain reaction 2 nearby bikes and the pedestrian fell down. The pedestrain was unconscious for some time. But lot of people did get down from their vehicles to help them and put them in an ambulance. This is my first encounter with a direct accident and it proved all our gossips of insensitive people on the road wrong.

One day my lunch bag fell on the busy Avinashi road. The count down was going on in the green signal and I am sure all of us can imagine how our minds only intention is to get past the signal. A car was right behind my lunch bag and surely the driver could have easily gotten over the bag and passed the signal. But he waited for me to park my vehicle in the side and then negotiate the traffic and pick the bag. (Note that there were people honking behing him). It is might seem trivial, but for me it was a huge act of kindness.

We are racing against time. But our benevelence comes to the fore at the right time.

I think with a little more discipline we would become more civilised.

Let me enumerate those I find abnoxious on the road.

1. Swearing at people (Yes drivers make mistakes, but how do we react to it. Some times the people sweared at are much older than us)
2. Spitting on the road
3. Throwing the waste on the road. (So where do we throw the cover after eating the biscuit. Put it in your bag or pocket and throw it in a dust bin when you spot)

Our argument : "Everybody on the road does it, why not me"
My counter argument : Little drops of water make a mighty ocean

Shares your road experiences and the nice people you met.
We dont want to know the bad experiences, but lets talk of the good experiences so that we can derive inspiration from them.

2 comments:

  1. Http://www.clickmart.co.in

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree on what you have said about following a discipline on the roads.. Throwing waste papers on the roads is never considered an uncivic activity among the current geenration.. I often see mothers and fathers actually TEACHING their children that throwing waste on the roads and tracks is the ONLY way to dispose the waste. The covers and bags which once carried their yummy food has now become a thing of disgust.. It is very tough to change the mindset of the older generation. The only way is to educate the younger generation to cultivate this BASIC CIVIC SENSE.

    ReplyDelete